Friday, December 16, 2011

Mets ornament of the day: Mets nutcracker not needed for peanuts


I've been spending a great deal of time in Lansing, Mich., lately covering activity in and around the state Capitol.

You know the expression about laws and sausage-making. Well, I like to see the process. I've enjoyed my new assignment.

One of the best parts of downtown Lansing is a magical place called The Peanut Store, located on Washington Square a block from the Capitol.

The aroma wafts throughout the block. Inside, it's like a step back in time. There are Mr. Peanut souvenirs on the wall that I think have been for sale for decades.

And right near the register is a drawer overing a tumbler keeping unsalted peanuts warm. I usually walk out with a massive, $5 bag of warm peanuts to bring back to the bureau or all the way back to colleagues in Grand Rapids.

The bag gets lighter along the way, I must confess. But I get to be a hero.
The shop sells other kinds of nuts, too. But I'm not going into a place called The Peanut Store to buy cashews or some candy.

I don't need a nutcracker to open peanuts, but the Mets nutcracker reminds me of the store – but without the awesome aroma.

No comments: