Monday, October 31, 2016

Campaign collectibles from a calmer time: Going Rogue with Gov. Palin

Today's look at campaign collectibles from a calmer time takes us back to 2008 and GOP vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin -- and a bookstore adventure.
A year after the campaign, Gov. Palin published her first book, "Going Rogue," and started her national book tour in Grand Rapids.
Now, the Governor had a rocky relationship with the media and wasn't doing interviews during the book tour. 
But my assignment with the newspaper was to find out why, of all the places in the nation, would she start in GR?
So I figured that if I bought a book and got on line, I'd have one shot at asking her a question. 
There was a good chance it would not work, but at least I'd get a signed book out of it.
So I stood on line for several hours, making friends with some college students and families just in front and behind me as we snaked through the mall and book store.
Finally, it was my turn.
"Welcome to Grand Rapids, Governor Palin. But I have to ask, why did you start here?"
The Governor looked up, paused, and said, "Well, it's a microcosm of America."
And that's the answer I needed.

I was pretty happy about that, as the photo shows. I have no poker face.
 But I do have a signed book, and some cool campaign pins from an historic race.

No comments: