Monday, July 07, 2008

A delayed five for the Fourth

After wrapping up road trips to spend quality time celebrating all sorts of things with both sides of the family, I can offer a delayed Deezo Friday Five showing the parts of our heritage tour that did not include Shea.

The day before the our farewell to the ballpark, we made a tour of the old stomping grounds, including the former home, the former favorite place, the proposal spot, schools, and the park where I worked during summers. We also reunited with family and even had some adventures.


1) First, the homestead on Third Avenue in Massapequa Park doesn’t seem to have changed in the 17 years since my family moved. Many Mets games were viewed in the room on the upper right. I planted the tree on the left. The yard seemed bigger when I was complaining about raking the leaves.


2) Speaking of homes, Theodore Roosevelt’s home, Sagamore Hill, in Oyster Bay was my favorite place when I was a kid. I was all about TR – during the off-season, when TS wasn’t busy. So it was a thrill to bring my daughter there for the first time.


3) Then we made what was supposed to be a quick stop to snap a photo of the president’s resting place, which is kept safe behind iron gates. But as we were stepping away, the very enthusiastic cemetery superintendent came out of nowhere. He opened the gates so we could go inside for a respectful photo, and then proceeded to give us a tour of most of the graves, pointing out Roosevelt family buried there. Then he started handing me all sorts of paper including copies of every letter to the editor he’s ever sent.

He was very passionate and informative – but my daughter said it was like a Scooby Doo episode about an old man in a cemetery and wondered if were going to be permanent residents. We broke free when Dad beeped the horn.


4) Did I mention that I have the coolest cousin ever? Tim, who is full of surprises, presented me with a brick on the new Citi Field Fan Walk! There are not words to describe how moved I was. I might be 800 miles from the Mets when they play, but I’ll feel like a little part of me will be there. Of course, given the streak of shame, the Mets might not like that. But we still have some more temporaty tats for a game next year to locate my part of Citi.


5) Now for lesser, but still cool, souvenirs. I was holding off buying anything for this year’s All-Star Game except for a program, pennant and ball because of all the Yankee taint. But then I saw this t-shirt and it’s just too glorious. I know the painted Ladies Liberty are to coincide with the game, but this is more about the Mets and Shea’s final year with no mention of the Yanks at all. Plus you gotta love the saying on the front: “Freedom, Opportunity & Baseball.” That pretty much sums up the US on a July 4th weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nod Dave. It was a great weekend. Can't wait to see the brick in place!! Good excuse to travel to see the Mets again!!

TW GB