Tuesday, December 06, 2016

Something Special About December: Lansing's Capitol Christmas tree


Today’s Something Special About December has us thinking about Christmas trees, but this time they’re much bigger.

One of the best parts about working in Lansing is seeing the gigantic Christmas tree placed on the east side of the state Capitol.

Starting in 1987, the tree lighting ceremony became part of Lansing’s Silver Bells in the City celebration, which has grown into an event that includes an electric parade and fireworks.

Now, normally with civic trees, there is a lot of oohing and aahing when the switch in flicked, but the tree pretty much looks the same year in and year out.

Not so in Lansing.

I’m not sure who gets the credit for this, but the lighting theme is different each year. Sometimes the bulbs are all white, sometimes they are multi-colored, and sometimes there are limited colors.

One year the tree had different sections of colors, and that wasn’t especially popular. But I give them points for trying something new.

This year, there is a brilliant white star atop the tree – the first time I’ve seen that.

I like to pause on my way home and walk under the tree and look up at the lights and over to the Capitol dome, bathed in light and gleaming, a year after its restoration.


It’s a sight I try not to take for granted. I don’t know what the future holds or how long I’ll work in Lansing. It’s a special place.

2 comments:

Zvon said...

Really beautiful tree, and that's a pretty cool capitol as well.

Mets Guy in Michigan said...

Thanks, Z! I really enjoy it.