Friday, February 27, 2009

Mets win -- twice! A new streak, without the shame.

I'm putting Josh Pahigian's "101 Baseball Places to See Before You Strike Out" on hold for a day as I check out some glorious places Josh doesn't list -- the Mets' first two spring training games.

Considering I went from 1991 to last July without seeing the Mets win, I'm pretty excited about the three-game winning streak I'm now riding after seeing our team smackdown the Orioles in Fort Lauderdale then the Marlins in St. Lucie.

Dad was even luckier than I was. He snagged a foul ball at a Marlins' practice game, then won the grand prize in a Mets spin-the-wheel contest, landing us a signed Freddie Garcia jersey.

I'll have a full spring report, but right now I'd dead tired. Here are some photos to tide you over.


Fort Lauderdale Stadium is ancient, and showing the signs of Yankee Taint. This is likely the last year a team will train there.

Ryan Church relaxing between turns in the cage.

Mets win, 9-3!

Oliver Perez warms up in the bullpen.

Mets win, again, 9-0.

Dad wins, too! He's holding the jersey that until recently belonged to Freddy Garcia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That F. Garcia jersey is sure to be a collectors item if he continues throwing like he has this spring. Yeow.