Tuesday, December 03, 2019

Sounds of December: Martha's Trouble and stumbling on treasure



I’m always on the hunt for new songs about Christmas in New York.

I hit the iTunes search bar with "Christmas" plus "New York," "Manhattan" or any number of terms that could lead to something new.

I found this gem in a search. But giving a listen I discovered it’s about Christmas in Toronto. But that’s OK. Toronto’s a nice city, too!

I was hooked. "Christmas in the City" is one of my favorites, earning a “first five” placement in the Christmas Favorites playlist – the new version of the Christmas mix tape.

Martha’s Trouble is a husband-and-wife team of singer Jennifer and guitarist Rob Slocomb who split time between native Ontario and Alabama. 

The duo issued a six-song Christmas EP in 2002 and a slightly longer release called "This Christmas" in 2008. Both are solid.

They have sort of a Sixpence None the Richer vibe, with bouncy guitars. It’s a perfect blending of pop and country.

“We have spent many of winters in Toronto, making some of the season memories,” Jennifer told the site Bandcamp. “We love being in the city during the holidays, there is a romantic energy in the air like no other time of the year.”

The chorus will pull you in, and it will remain in bouncing around your head at least for as long as the tree has needles. Maybe longer.

“It’s Christmas in the City
And I’m with the one I love
All the storefronts look pretty
Everyone is in a rush
For that perfect gift to give -- but you’re enough”



The best part is that I stumbled across the song looking for something else. It’s like when you are searching for a perfect gift and find something even more special!

No comments: